Trigger point therapy is a type of massage therapy that involves applying pressure to specific points in muscles that are tender and tight. These points are called trigger points and they can cause pain and referred pain (pain that is felt in a different area of the body).
Trigger points are thought to be caused by muscle tension, overuse, injury or stress. When a trigger point is activated, it can cause a muscle to spasm and refer pain to other areas of the body.
Trigger point therapy can help to relieve pain and improve range of motion by releasing the tension in the muscle and breaking the cycle of pain. It can be used to treat a variety of pain conditions, including:
- Neck pain
- Back pain
- Shoulder pain
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ)
Trigger point therapy can be performed by a physiotherapist, massage therapist or other healthcare professional. There are a variety of techniques that can be used, including:
- Deep tissue massage
- Pressure release
- Acupuncture or dry needling
Trigger point therapy is generally considered to be a safe and effective treatment for pain. However, it is important to see a qualified healthcare professional to ensure that the therapy is performed correctly.
Here are some of the benefits of trigger point therapy:
- Can relieve pain and improve range of motion
- Can be used to treat a variety of pain conditions
- Is generally safe and effective
- Can be performed by a variety of healthcare professionals
If you are considering trigger point therapy, be sure to talk to your doctor or physiotherapist to see if it is right for you.
Here are some additional things to keep in mind about trigger point therapy:
- It may take several sessions to see the full benefits of treatment.
- You may experience some soreness after a session, but this should subside within a few days.
- If you have any underlying health conditions, be sure to tell your healthcare provider before starting trigger point therapy.
If you are looking for a natural way to relieve pain, trigger point therapy may be a good option for you. Talk to your doctor or physiotherapist to learn more about this treatment.